Sunday, February 13, 2005

Best Quote I Heard All Day
The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom.--H.L. Mencken

The older I get, the more frivolity I generate. And a frivolous, wonderful time was had by all today at Kathy Merrick's 50th birthday party, hosted by the lovely and witty Liza Prior Lucy.

So today's entry is all about the swell time we had at Liza's. Don't you love reading about people you know fuck-all about?

Fun and Games in No Hope, PA
John and I left around 9:30 a.m., stopping once to check out a truck John was interested in. We arrived at Liza's just as Joe and his partner, the handsome and mushroom-collector extraordinaire, Thaddeus, arrived. For those of you unfamiliar with Liza Prior Lucy, she has been a designer, Rowan rep, and now works with Kaffe Fassett on his quilting books and selling his fabric, which is unbelievably beautiful. Check it out here.

This will give you an idea of the kind of work Liza does. This quilt top was amazing and the photo doesn't do it justice.



Joe and I spent quite a while admiring it.


That's Joe in the foreground, Liza's friend Meg to his right and the birthday girl up front.



Liza has taken strips of Kaffe's fabric, cut them on the bias and knitted them. Very interesting effect, I thought.

After a lovely brunch of bagels, cream cheese, whitefish, smoked salmon, juice, coffee and a lot of bullshitting, we settled into Liza's living room for the presentation of gifts to the elderly Benoit-loving Merrick. She received a red hat, purple tracksuit, and an AARP card. Only the finest for la petite bouffante, n'est-ce pas?

You'd think Carol could have kept her tongue to herself.



Here's Merrick showing off her photo collection of the swarthy, dwarflike Benoit Bourque.


I'm forever asking myself, "Why?"



A couch full of partners: Joe, my Johnny, and the handsome but elusive Thaddeus.

Finally, it was cake time.


Such a demure pose for the scourge of the Twitlist.

But I've saved the best for last. Carol, who has been so supportive during my little bout of manic depression (as has everyone, I might add), decided to create an incredibly wonderful gift for me.

Meet Bipolar Betty.


This is Manic Betty.


Here's Depressive Betty (Carol said she cut her hair with nail scissors--I can dig that).

And here's the two, bound together for eternity or some such shit.



I think Carol should either publish the pattern or make them and sell them. I know a lot of lunatics who'd buy them. Of course, they're not on the Knit List.

And by the way, totally off-topic, I recently decided to knit my cellphone a cover from Homespun. My cellphone's name is Stanley, because I think every item one owns should be named and covered with knitting. But that's me. Rare and handy.

No comments: