Thursday, March 25, 2004

Best Quote I Heard All Day
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. --H. L. Mencken

Subscribing to this thought would probably make me ineligible to publish in any knitting magazine, either.

This entry will perforce be short, due to stupid stuff I have to do so that the powers-that-be put money in my checking account twice a month.

The Incredible Lightness of Writing
Thank you for all your support for my book project. I have gotten some wonderful offers and suggestions from my Tontant Weaders, all of which I will consider. The book is now outlined and I will start filling in the gaps once my freelance editing job is done at the end of the week. I’ll keep everyone posted and probably pester you for more suggestions.

Every criticism, every thought you may have, I value. No one can work in a vacuum, least of all me.

A Not-Final Word on Fit, Form, and Function
Just happened to see an ad in the New York Times Sunday magazine the other week for a Land’s End fully fashioned cotton sweater, in which the sweater was triumphantly heralded as having each piece knit separately for a custom fit.

What a fucking concept, eh?

May Trip to Del Ray Beach
So I’ll be off to Florida the beginning of May for a Campus Management conference in Del Ray Beach.

I absolutely know that I must post to the Knit List immediately asking if I can take my knitting on the plane and what yarn shops are there in Del Ray.

Any other stupid questions I need ask the lists about my trip? Do you think I can wedge copyright in there somewhere?

The Chubbettes Rise Again
I do love to teach knitting but only on my own terms. That is to say, I don’t affiliate myself with any shop but if someone asks me to teach them, I do so gladly. Two years ago, I taught six people at work how to knit. Only one of them is still employed at TCI, my friend Mary. Now two other women have approached me and I’ll start them off at our Wednesday Stitch and Bitch next week.

I keep a box of scrap worsted weight under my credenza in my office for just these occasions.

Confessions of a Knitting Heretic
Check out Annie Modesitt’s new book (and the T-shirts that go with it), Annie teaches combined knitting, which I find endlessly interesting although I don’t do it myself—yet. I’ve bought a copy and a T-shirt (no, Annie, I absolutely will not take a free copy, thanks anyway) and I can’t wait to read the book. Go read the Table of Contents on her blog and see if you don't get jonesed up.

I love shamelessly promoting my friends. And although I don’t see Annie often (much to my chagrin), she’s someone with whom you can spend hours. We’ve spent a few hours sitting in Barnes and Noble on Rte. 10 in Parsippany, knitting and running our mouths. Annie always has some interesting project going.

I have lots of rare and handy friends, all of whom are talented, in my opinion. Annie is certainly one. So go buy Annie’s book already. There’s few knitting books I will buy sight unseen. Hers is one of them.

No comments: