Friday, September 02, 2005

Best Quote I Heard All Day
They don't have a clue what's going on down there. They flew down here one time two days after the doggone event was over with TV cameras, AP reporters, all kind of goddamn - excuse my French everybody in America, but I am pissed.--New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin speaking about the Federal Government's lack of response

No knitting today. I haven't mentioned the disaster in the South, mostly because I tend to keep the blog for knitting discussion.

However, the egregious stupidity of our lackluster leader, Dubya, in his ignorance and Disneyland view of reality makes my teeth rattle. People are dying and this moron spews homilies and platitudes. And where was his ass when the shit hit the fan last Monday? Did he show up on the air telling us he'd made the command decisions needed to get these people help? Of course not. Gee, he flies home from vacation and takes a look-see from Air Force One. Big fucking deal. And now maybe he'll show up in Louisiana later today. Too little, too late. I suspect that if he shows his face in New Orleans, he's a prime target for some gun-toting, half-starved rioter who would gladly take a potshot in exchange for three squares and a dry prison cell.

From Paul Krugman's editorial in today's New York Times comes this, a true and honest summary of this hapless and dangerous administration:

At a fundamental level, I'd argue, our current leaders just aren't serious about some of the essential functions of government. They like waging war, but they don't like providing security, rescuing those in need or spending on preventive measures. And they never, ever ask for shared sacrifice.

Yesterday Mr. Bush made an utterly fantastic claim: that nobody expected the breach of the levees. In fact, there had been repeated warnings about exactly that risk.

So America, once famous for its can-do attitude, now has a can't-do government that makes excuses instead of doing its job. And while it makes those excuses, Americans are dying.

I'm giving the Red Cross money. So are many people. If the government can't or won't act in a timely fashion, the people of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama should know that individuals do care and are concerned.

WEBS is donating 10% of all purchases made through September 10 to the Red Cross. I'm sure there will be other companies that will follow suit. Thank God I haven't read any posts on any of the lists suggesting that we all knit hats and afghans. This disaster is far past that--they need money to buy them life. Water, food, clothing, and perhaps a restoration of hope that someone out there gives a shit.

I had always wanted to visit the Big Easy but was never able to do so. I am saddened that I may never have the opportunity now. Here's hoping the Big Easy swings again.

Back to knitting the next time. I don't think I can write much more about this disaster without becoming even more upset.

No comments: