Saturday, March 11, 2006

Best Quote I Heard All Day
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.--Douglas Adams

It's been a long week. But a good one. The job is OK. I'm OK.

But I miss those leisurely morning writing sessions.

Now I have day-long writing sessions in Jersey City. But with health benefits.

Shawling
Believe it or not, I've been dragging the shawl and accompanying cone of Zephyr on the train every day.

And knitting on the way home.


I love the way lace looks with the sun shining through it. Almost makes me want to knit lace curtains.

But no. That ain't ever gonna happen.

I'm on repeat #2 of the center square. Three more to go. So you know I have to get in at least two hours a night on this thing. That includes an hour on the train. I now know the pattern so well that there's no fear of making undesirable gaffes.

And There's More
I have somehow also managed to get some spinning done. This morning at 7 a.m. I've finished the first ounce of the cranberry merino/tercel.


Once I have the loom warped, I'll be able to sit down in the evening and do some weaving without having to be terribly alert. The towel warp gets wound today and perhaps sleyed tomorrow, if I'm so ambitious. Mayhap I will even have time to start the second raspberry bobbin.

So I can get to the Emerald City by next weekend.


I'm dying to see how this looks plyed up.

Spring Issues
Is it me or is it the X-men's ghastly, confused mess of a website, but have they stopped putting up the designs in each issue? The last I could find was for Summer 2005.

Based on the choices for Knitter's Spring 2006 cover, I'd say that the downhill spiral continues. How much further into the cesspool it can go is unimaginable. However, each issue manages to be worse than the last. Quite an accomplishment of publishing mediocrity, at the very least.

However, I am pleased to say that Interweave's Piecework and Handwoven were beautiful issues, particularly the covers. And plenty of stuff within, too. I'm anxiously awaiting the next issue of Spin-Off.

One of the things I like about Interweave is that they set up polls for some of their magazines on the website, asking readers' opinions. Or they provide a feedback link so that you can send your comments to them directly. That takes balls. Which the X-men don't have because they're more interested in fawning, kiss-ass comments than constructive criticism and suggestions.

And of course, Knit U is a vast wasteland of just those kinds of comments. Kind of a Mickey Mouse Club atmosphere, except you might call them X-cateers. The X-Boy Mondragon as Goofy. Or perhaps Dopey. Pick your own Disney character.

Whether or not I like the designs in Interweave's magazines, I give the editorial staff a lot of credit for being willing to take it, good or bad. That's why I stick with their publications.

OK, I'm ready to get out the mop bucket and start cleaning this shithole of a house. It's going to be in the 60s today. Before I know it, it will be Monday morning and back to work.

Time management is a rare and handy skill. However, what I'd druther do is go sit in the sun and knit.

No comments: