Sunday, August 20, 2006

Best Quote I Heard All Day
Well, I looked in my mom's closet and saw what I was getting for Christmas, an UltraVibe Pleasure 2000. --Eric Cartman

I looked in my closet and found:

  • 3 pairs of shoes that I don't want
  • Another bag of yarn that I had forgotten about
  • An empty Rubbermaid container (WTF?)
  • The cat
If anyone wants to gift me with an UltraVibe Pleasure 2000, no used equipment, please.

No pictures this week, kids. Nor probably next week. Possibly Labor Day weekend. I'm taking time out from packing, cleaning and generally pondering the state of my stash to write a little something.

Rhinebeck Spins
Odd as it may sound, with everything else that's going on, my mind has been on Rhinebeck, amongst other things and people.

I made my reservations at the Kingston Holiday Inn for that Friday and Saturday night. Hot damn.

Here's what I propose to do, as I mentioned in Franklin's comments. I'm going to bring my Joy wheel and a couple of spindles. How about having an informal spinning get-together at Rhinebeck, for those of you who will be attending (sans Kathy, of course, who will grouse about this endlessly)?

I was thinking about doing this around 3 p.m. Saturday afternoon, up by the food concessions. By that time, the tables should be free and we can sit and spin. And I would be happy to help the newbies.

Any takers? We've got some very experienced spinners who read this blog. Getcher asses in gear, eh? Come help the needy.

Happy Birthday, Ma
Tomorrow is my mother's birthday. She'll be 83. Hard to believe, especially when she asked me to buy her laceweight for her first lace shawl. I bought her the KnitPicks Shimmer that she wanted.

Ma's got cojones. She's been practicing lace and enjoying it. A real testimony to the old saw, "It's never too late to learn." I don't want to take credit but I think she was emboldened by the lace I've been knitting this year. She'll be working a shawl from Folk Shawls as her first one, I forget which design.

My mother, besides teaching me how to knit, taught me how to sing big band songs when I was little. And gave me my love of baseball. Closed her eyes when I rollerskated at breakneck speed over cracked sidewalks. Ran out at 5 p.m. Christmas Eve to buy my parakeet a present when I asked her if Santa was going to bring Baker the bird something too, so that I wouldn't stop believing. Shrieked with satisfying anguish when I nonchalantly walked into the kitchen with blood running down my leg, the result of letting a grass cut get good and gory to see if she'd actually faint. She didn't.

There were a few other things, including myriad evil looks and smacks on the ass.

Those of you who have met her know why I love her. Many more, Ma. I know I wasn't an easy kid to raise. But I survived and so did you. Thanks.

KnitPicks Needles
Thanks for all the input. I bought some of the small circs and they would appear to be quite nice. I've got enough needles otherwise that I don't feel I need the whole kit.

But lace needles are another story. I like the joins and the points. I'll test-drive a pair when I unpack the rest of my laceweight in a few weeks.

Obligatory Knitting Shit
Enough socks, already. And for those of you who don't believe that I can knit that many pairs in such a short time, remember that I have this pattern memorized. And what's to a pair of socks, anyway?

Before I completely packed everything, I discovered a ball of Morehouse laceweight that I had already wound a while back. So I'm just going to knit a little Feather 'n' Fan shawl to keep me out of trouble. I don't forsee going back to the Wedding Ring Shawl until the middle of September. And I continue to spin the Chasing Rainbows grape merino/tussah. Maybe I'll have pictures of that next Saturday. It's a pleasure to spin.

And I continue plying the Emerald City because I'm going to give Selma the Axe Murderess what I have at Rhinebeck.

And finally, a word to the rare and handy among you: As Selma proved out, not everyone you meet online is a potential serial killer. I know this for a fact.

POSTSCRIPT
Today was a wonderful day and a terrible day. My dear friend at work, Peggy Mastig, my lunch buddy and work partner-in-crime, died Friday night of a massive heart attack. She was only 47. I am past grief. Peggy was one of those people who was the salt of the earth, the real deal. In the short time that I knew her, we became close friends. It won't be the same without her. My heart goes out to her partner, Debbie.

Nonetheless, I had a wonderful date with a wonderful man. Peggy knew I was going out with JT and she was all excited for me. She would have kicked my ass if I had not gone because of her. So, Peg, he's a special guy. I'm going to miss you so much tomorrow for coffee, and every day. Be at peace, my dear friend.

No comments: