Thursday, September 13, 2007

Best Quote I Heard All Day
I'm not crazy. I just don't give a darn hoo-hoo.--Daffy Duck

It's wabbit hunting season. And I got me a wabbit.

Means nothing to you, I know. Means a lot to me, though. Heh.

Back in Print
Well, it's official. My interview with Kristin Nicholas will definitely be in the Winter issue of Interweave Knits.

It's been a long time since I've been published--12 years, in fact. I've written a number of articles in the past, on antiques, on doll artists, on machine knitting. And you know that I write like I breathe. Take the writing away and I'm probably deader than if you took away the knitting.

It looks as if IK is also going to publish my submission to Ravelings, the endpaper essay. It may or may not be in the Winter issue also. Once it is published, I will fill you in on the person who inspired it. Until then, I have nothing to say about it except keep your eyes open for it.

So I guess I'd better buy an extra copy for Ma because although she knows I write the blog and has actually seen it once or twice, the reality has never really hit her, I don't think. And after all, even at my age, I still want my mother's approval.

Like I suppose we all do.

Still Wretched from Roanoke
I'm sure Roanoke is a lovely city. I wouldn't know. I trained our client last Friday and I wish I had someone take a picture of me climbing into the cab of a rather large truck in 95 degree weather, to show the truck drivers how to use our equipment. It pretty much looked like this one, a Freightliner.
Not that I know anything about trucks. But I clambered up, did the equipment demo for them (a handset that hooks into our GPS system), and then jumped on down. As I said to the drivers, who had shiteating grins on their faces, "Yeah, not bad for a grandmother, eh boys?"

And I'm still fighting that damned cold I came down with somewhere on I81. Must have been that Waffle House I had to stop at. Egads.

Open Mic Thursday
OK, I was remiss last week but this week I'm back full-strength, albeit somewhat snotty due to the cold, not my attitude. Here's a little tale of ethics for you to ponder. This actually happened to me some years ago. I will tell you how I responded, after you've done with your opining.

A well-heeled, non-knitting friend is at your house and happens to pick up a knitting magazine from your coffee table. She sees a sweater design that she likes and says, "Wow, I love this. Listen, I saw a hand-knit sweater at Neiman-Marcus and it was $800. I'd pay you the cost of the yarn plus $400 if you'd make this for me." You need the money. Badly. So, do you take the money and make the sweater?

I won't say more. Just read it, absorb the implications, and think about what you'd do.

Time for bed. It's late, I haven't had much sleep the past few days, and I gotta get up early. Coffee has never tasted so rare and handy as it does at 4:45 a.m. More on actual minor knitting milestones this weekend.

No comments: