Sunday, April 03, 2005

Best Quote I Heard All Day
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. --Hunter S. Thompson

It seems like a good day to quote Uncle Duke. Dark and overcast, with a hint of mist.

Gonzo Knitting
I gave the title of my book some thought and decided that it really sucked and did not at all reflect the proposed contents. So in tribute to HST, a writer who has been an enormous influence (along with John Lennon and Dorothy Parker), I've decided to call it Memoirs of a Gonzo Knitter. Works for me.

It's great to be able to write something totally egocentric, no? I've already drafted many glowing reviews in my head, not to mention what I will say on Knitty Gritty. Heh. As if they'd have me.

IK et Al
I finally picked up the Spring issue of IK, while only flipping through VK and Knitter's. It seems that I always buy IK, even if there is nothing in the issue that appeals. I suppose it's because I like the layout and the articles, and the unpretentiousness of the models. At least they look real. The other two stay on the shelf, always. Both so unmemorable I couldn't tell you what was in them.

Slip Kid
Finally got the cranberry merino wound and measured. That counter from Nancy's KnitKnacks works a treat, let me tell you. Got 305 yards out of the merino. Not enough for anything much but I decided to play with it anyway.

I began with an eyelet pattern and quickly discovered that this yarn was not made to be holey. It's much too homespun. Hard to see the eyelet holes, since I ripped it out after maybe 5 rows. Trust me, it doesn't work well.

So I found a good pattern in Barbara Walker's First Treasury, a double rib slip pattern. Very easy and shows off the yarn to advantage.



In case you're interested, the pattern is a multiple of 4 + 2 and goes like this:
Row 1: k2, *with yarn forward, sl 2, k2, repeat from * across, end k2.
Row 2: P across.

Not a brain bender but a nice pattern that knits up quickly. I cast on enough so that this could be a small scarf, if there's sufficient yarn. I'll edge it with reverse single crochet.

Freek on a Leesh
Gushing and bragging. Must be catching from Joe's blog, eh? Anyway, I am gushingly proud to announce that there is another blogger in the family. My curmudgeon-in-training, Liz, granddaughter and punk sk8or dudette.



Her blog, Freek on a Leesh, hosted by Xanga, is exquisitely designed in black and red, with selected punk music blaring constantly. I did enjoy her profile, which lists "being my odd self" as one of her interests. Liz is a real original. And flesh of my flesh, for sure. Don't let her know if you visit her blog. She'd die of embarrassment, no doubt.

She wants to come along to one of our rare and handy knitting get-togethers. I think I will indulge her.

Oh, and one more thing.
HAPPY FUCKING BIRTHDAY JOE YOU WONDERFUL GUSHING PUS-Y MAN!

No comments: