Sunday, September 17, 2006

Best Quote I Heard All Day
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.--Hunter S. Thompson

I've been there. And over it. And back again.

And this is the recent subject of a conversation I've been having with N, who, like me, understands what it's like to walk away from a "successful" career because to stay meant to die, quite literally.

It's been six years now since I walked away from publishing because I wanted to save my soul and my sanity.

The greatest accomplishment for someone who is bipolar is to live to tell the tale and and be comfortable in their skin. So I'm still a whacked-out bipolar but a happy one who knows the real meaning of living. And it ain't in the circ numbers.

End of sermon. Please pass the plate to the person next to you.

9/11 Redux
Thank you all for your comments. As always, I write for myself and if it moves others, that's a splendiferous by-product.

However, I do want to make something clear. I cannot and do not include myself in that group of people who truly lost much. I lost no loved one, no friend, nothing. Those who did suffered and continue to suffer far past what any of us can imagine. They are the ones who should elicit your compassion--not me.

Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Program
Here's what I adore about the X-men's half-assed web site. You know that when you venture into the technical morass called (cue sci-fi music) The Knitting Universe, any link you click will more than likely either take you to a 404 or to someplace completely different.

Which is why I can't tell you anything about their new Kids book. Because I clicked and ended on up on Sally Melville's Book 3. (I can speculate on its contents--a lot of cute kids dressed in DragonBoy's discolorways.)

What the fuck? Rhetorical question: does no one on the X-men's tech staff check links prior to going live? Oh right. I forgot. There is no tech staff other than Tim the Unix Guy, whose technical expertise seems to extend to showing up on alternate Thursdays.

Cruel to be kind, in the right measure, especially with that crew.

Phat Spinning--Worsted Up, Bra
Sure, you know that's coming. Hip To Spin. Now that the HipToKnit frenzy seems to be coughing up lungers, I'm having these scary visions. Could it happen? Perhaps. Since the yarn companies aren't involved, it will have to come from book publishers.

Suggested titles:
  • Spinnin' Grrrllllllllllllllllllllllllll (of course)
  • Celebrity Spinners, featuring Paris Hilton using her spindle in unusual ways
  • Ample Spinning--learn how to spin 3 wpi easily (especially for beginners)
  • Spin Ewe Ass Off--instant bestseller due to recognizable play-on-words
  • ______ Spins--Self-important blogger recounts in unedited, agonizing detail her every twitch at the wheel. Includes special section on spinning cat hair.
  • Spinning for Dogs--Teach your dog how to be a living distaff
  • Spinning for Straight Men--It's machinery, needs oiling, has screws. How to convert your loved one's wheel into a portable gas barbecue, suitable for tailgate parties.
  • Hip Young Urban Spinner--Lily shows you how to make reversible plys.

If any of these titles become available within the next year, I want fucking royalties.

Obligatory Knitting/Spinning Shit
No pictures this week, partly because I only just found my camera bag behind a box in the dining room and the battery needs recharging. Besides, there's nothing to photograph. The F 'n' F shawl continues. At this point, any picture would be the same thing as last week so you'll see it when it's finished.

I finally found my bag of Chasing Rainbows merino/tussah and started spinning again tonight. I have not spun at all since before I moved. It was good to get back to it. I was having withdrawal symptoms by picking up rug lint and twiddling it between my fingers. Not a good sign.

Rhinebeck Bingo et al
I will have my Rhinebeck "I'm a Square" button and bag shortly. And I even promise to publish a picture of me for those readers who either haven't a clue as to what I look like or have met me and forgotten.

As for the Bunny Hop KAL,

I found my birthday present skein from Carol of sock yarn. Blogger, as usual, is not cooperating with photos and I'm too tired to shove it in my FTP space and code it, so this is what I got out of Blogger.

For those of you who do not own their own domain, I have found that when Blogger balks at uploading in large image size, it will usually cooperate with the medium. And "None" from Choose a Layout.

Just sayin', for those of you who are technically challenged. And I'm sure you know who you are.


So, enough for the nonce. It's almost 2 a.m., a time when I should be in bed rather than writing. But then, it's a rare and handy time of day, when all is quiet and the brain can focus.

No comments: