Monday, April 16, 2007

Peace, peace! he is not dead, he doth not sleep -
He hath awakened from the dream of life -
'Tis we, who lost in stormy visions, keep
With phantoms an unprofitable strife,
And in mad trance, strike with our spirit's knife
Invulnerable nothings. -We decay
Like corpses in a charnel; fear and grief
Convulse us and consume us day by day,
And cold hopes swarm like worms within our living clay.
--From Adonais by Percy Bysshe Shelley


Another vicious tragedy, in a country that is rapidly sinking into the depths of utter squalor. I don't know my country any more. With the deaths of these students in Virginia, you have to wonder how much more madness will there be? A fearful question.

As with 9/11, when I wept at the faces of the spouses left behind, the children crying for a lost parent, here I see in my mind's eye the faces of these parents, whose children in a supposed safe haven are gone on a mundane Monday morning.

But then, death often visits in the course of a regular day. On a mundane Monday morning. When spring is in the air.

I'll wait until next week to do Open Mike Tuesday. I'm not much in the mood.

No comments: