Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Best Quote I Heard All Day
I had a job interview at an insurance company once and the lady said, "Where do you see yourself in five years?" and I said, "Celebrating the fifth-year anniversary of you asking me this question."--Mitch Hedberg

Today is the 5th anniversary of this blog. Not of The Knitting Curmudgeon, which was a web entity that existed from 1998 until 2000 and then left the ether for a couple of years.

I never even thought about how long I would write this blog.

Going back to July 2002, who actually inspired me to start a blog? Dangerous Chunky. I know, most of you won't remember that blog. But I do. I don't even remember how I found it or how I discovered Blogger. But in the haze that was my mind that summer, I did.

Here it is, as it looked that August, a week after I began writing it.


Dark and dreary, as indeed I was at that time, although I don't think it shows particularly in the writing. I hadn't yet found my voice but I actually had four comments on August 2. Amazing. I'm sure three of them were from Loopy.

I wish I could see those comments now but at the time, I was using another commenting service, which shortly thereafter bit the dust, forcing me to switch to Haloscan.

In the five years that I have written this blog, I have made many friends. And a few enemies, who can bite me. I've had the opportunity to do one of the things I love to do the most--write. I have a readership that I respect. With the exception of a few trolls here and there.

There are two things that I've done pretty consistently throughout my life. Knit and write. Both at the age of 8. Which do I do better? I couldn't say.

Talking to Ted this past Sunday, I said to him, "I see the blog moving on, past pure snarkiness, and becoming more of a vehicle that contributes to the knowledge base." That's not to say that I'll stop being a skank. That ain't happening.

What it does mean is that I'd rather stimulate people, help them get their fiber acts together by being whatever inspiration I can be (and I dunno, that probably isn't all that), and continue to add what I can in the way of free assistance here. Perhaps it will be reinventing the wheel but some things have to be said over and over.

A complete diet of snarkiness becomes a one-trick pony. It's the snarkiness interwoven with solid content that makes me happy, as a writer.

I have been working on a special anniversary project but alas, work keeps getting in the way. Suffice it to say that it will be an interactive learning tool, the first of a few.

And no, it's not going to teach you how to make a fucking slip knot. Or how to knit. Fuck that shit.

Now, the question for you all to ponder: When did I first start using "rare and handy" as an endline and where did it come from? No prizes. Just wanna see who's on the ball. And is rare and handy.

No comments: