Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Time is Ten Bloggin' Years

Best Quote I Heard All Day
"You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood. What mood is that? Last-minute panic"--Calvin & Hobbes

The 10th anniversary is tin. So send me some fucking cans! I'll knit some moronic can covers.

Ten years ago today I started screwing around with Blogger. My first entry was a review of Vogue Knitting Fall 2002. After that, I started squawking. August 16th entry started Best Quote I Heard All Day, "Rare and handy" appeared thereafter.

This blog was a total grief therapy...and still is, to some degree. When Jimmy died in January 2002, I was a lost soul. I will never stop grieving. By July, I needed something that would connect me to people with whom I shared the same interests. Fiber crap.

Besides keeping my brain focused on writing, this blog has given me wonderful friends, who began as Tontant Weaders. No matter how cranky I could get, my love for every reader was the most important. I don't just write for myself, although writing is something that has been part of me since age 7, right when I learned how to knit. Here's me when I started the blog.
Ten years later, here I am at 62.
My hair's a little shorter now...this picture I took with my Macbook last month. So 10 years aging, not too bad. I don't feel like an old bitch. Heh.

Now that I'm back to writing a book plus my two blogs, life is happy. My one regret is that Jimmy never read the blog, although he was with me when I first set up the Knitting Curmudgeon web site on AOL, back in 1998. He laughed his ass off but he himself was the Ship Modeler Curmudgeon, always barking at the New Jersey Ship Model Society meetings, which he founded. He was the one who encouraged me to learn everything about knitting. He was a well-known writer and ship modeler, I was his editor for his book and articles. For 33 years, we leaned on each other.

Therefore, I dedicate this blog to that rare and handy man. I know he's looking down from above and saying, "Keep writing, honey. Don't fucking stop."

Later, skanks. Love you all.

3 comments:

caroline aka FiberTribe said...

Congratulations on 10 years, chica! I can't tell you how many days I've opened your blog and laughed my ass off at your spot on snark, er, analysis of whatever. And many of those days were otherwise dark or difficult. Life is better now and still, notice of a Curmudgeonly post is an instant pounce for me. So mudge on, cur-girl!

jess said...

I've read your blog off and on over all of those years and I've watched as you've shared the real you with your readers. I like that you challenge knitters not to settle, and to do their level best. And I like your anti foo- foo crap rants. hehe.
Sorry you didn't get to see all the great knitting shops in Maine, we've had a few real good ones pop up recently.
I'm so glad to see you blogging again.

meowmom said...

hugz