Saturday, May 17, 2003

Best Quote I Heard All Day
"A cap of good acid costs five dollars and for that you can hear the Universal Symphony with God singing solo and the Holy Ghost on drums."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Rumor has it that Jean Moss is gigging with the Purly Kings at the Knitting Factory in NYC tonight...

(Thanks to the KnitFlame list for this link. Tune in, turn on, drop out. Or maybe just puke.)

Down the Forest Path
OK. So in a fit of startitis, I picked up some JaggerSpun Zephyr Wool-Silk 2/18s today in an off-white and started swatching.

Hit the gauge on the nose. Gauge will matter to some degree on this stole, particularly row gauge. Read the pattern. It's in the latest issue of IK. You'll see why if you're sharp.

The New IK
The Forest Path and the cover camisole by Joan McGowan-Michael of White Lies Designs were the two items I found of interest in this issue. And Annie Modesitt's knitted wire necklaces, although I have no interest in knitting with wire, myself. (Incidentally, Ms. McGowan-Michael does some fantastic lingerie designs for knitters. And in larger sizes. She makes the Tiny Diva's stuff look like the shit it is.)

Otherwise, feh.

Why did we need an article on knitting camps? As the French say, quelle blague.

The wedding dress was ridiculous. The skirt is nothing but a huge Pi R Squared mess. I mean, if you're going to design a wedding dress, why make it EZ-Goes-Bride's-Magazine? With the amount of time and knitting involved, wouldn't it have been a more intelligent design move to do it in a lace pattern? Or something totally outrageous?

KnitU With Extreme Prejudice
I think the XMen David (Espresso) and Alexis (Wolverine) better do a list membership count. Either that, or Espresso spends his evenings deleting 90% of the posts that come in saying "Knitter's sucks."

Remember last year when Knit U celebrated the 5,000th member by giving the poor soul a copy of every single, error-ridden XRX book? Um, where are all these people? According to my KnitU folder, I am averaging between 25-30 posts a day. And the content is even more uninformative than that of the Knit List and the Socknitter's List, if that's possible. The designers who used to post on Knit U--Meg Swansen, Joan Schrouder, Sally Melville--have all disappeared. Only Schrouder posts occasionally. Melville's probably up to her eyeballs in the next volume of XRX's KNITTING BOOKS OF THE UNIVERSE. Sheesh. And no, I don't count the Tiny Diva as providing any content to the list whatsoever.

Not that I'm conducting any scientific survey here. But on May 9, for example, Knit U had 21 posts, the Knit List had 54, Socknitters had 34.

I'd love to see Knitter's circulation numbers. Because I bet they're shrinking almost as fast as the Tiny Diva can crochet.

And with that, I'm off to begin the cast-on for the Forest Path, hereafter to be known as the FP. Because I'm fucking lazy, that's why. If you're asking.

Rarus utque handius. My motto.

No comments: