Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Best Quote I Heard All Day
All men would still really like to own a train set.--Rita Rudner

I can't quite see buying Johnny Heartthrob a train set, although he might appreciate a lathe.

There's always room in my life for a man who loves wood. Wood-and-power-tool-love mitigates the all-encompassing enormity of stash-love.

Why Celebrities Mostly Knit Stupid Stuff
I now understand why celebs can't possibly see their way past garter stitch. My new hypothesis is that their knitting skills are directly related to the amount of plastic surgery they've had. I mean, what else could there be to do but knit while waiting for your plastic surgeon-du-jour consultation? In addition to this, you have to figure that celebrities will be knitting scarves to hide their turkey necks prior to surgery or to hide the bandages after.

Sarah Jessica Parker is featured in Celebrity Scarves and she has had some wonderful plastic surgery. I therefore presume that SJP might be capable of executing a fine stockinette stitch, certainly a step above Daryl Hannah's tortuous attempt at garter. And we all know Daryl's had more than her share of visits to Dr. PeelGood.

I know there's a scientific explanation for the existence of knitting celebrities. I just need more palpable proof.

Christmas Crap-Along
So far, there's been one entry. And a tremendously strong entry at that. The deadline has been extended until December 23 and I will publish the winner's name and entry on Christmas Eve, during a respite from marinating my sauerbraten and eating too much junk.

The prize will definitely be the huge hank of Schaefer merino--nice colors of mauve, sage green, etc. I'd take a picture of it but I'm too busy right now. And if you win, what the fuck do you care anyway? It's a freebie.

Winter Knitty
At the risk of sounding a bit whiny, I have to admit to being disappointed with the winter issue of Knitty. Bland, bland, bland and too many stupid hats, little goofy projects, and uninspiring sweaters. The one project I found interesting was the French Market basket. In Knitty's defense, you get what you don't pay for and free is free. I'm glad we have Knitty, even with the doofus projects.

That said, I actually found the ads to be a good thing and totally unobtrusive. Accepting advertising was a smart move. And the articles are always worth reading. I particularly liked the one in this issue on frogging, although you don't have to wash the ripped yarn--steaming it works just fine. And Rob's definitive article on felting (or should I say "fulling"?) is a classic. The caveat on "free-range" felting alone is worth reading. And the editor in me loves a guy who lists his references. Some of the other articles were way too chatty and too long but at least provided some meat, unlike the commercial hard-copy mags.

Christmas Present
Christmas Eve was a night of song that wrapped itself about you like a shawl.--Bess Streeter Aldrich

And it still is, to me. Lots of things going on lately--I've been busy interviewing at Chubb Corporate HQ in the hopes that I can stay with the company. These are grim days at work, with speculation and rumors running amok.

But there is no doubt in my mind that despite the varying disappointments and pain of the past two years, there has been an overwhelming abundance of good things and people in my life. My old life is gone, the house is sold, the kids are off in their own place. I have a great family, wonderful friends, and my Johnny Heartthrob, who is always there to make me laugh, to make me feel loved, and to be my friend.

It always ends well. And life for me is always rare and handy.

No comments: