Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Best Quote I Heard All Day
No one traveling on a business trip would be missed if he failed to arrive.-- Thorstein Veblen

Unless, of course, you have 3 co-workers with you.

It’s good to be back. Florida was a trip, in the Timothy Leary sense of the word. Besides traveling from West Palm Beach to Delray Beach on I-95, which was really New Jersey dressed up with palm trees, it truly is a psychedelic land of amazement.

Little lizards that replace our ubiquitous chipmunks. Flora straight out of Little Shop of Horrors. I loved it. But I wouldn’t live there.

Traveling Stitches
So yes, I did take my bamboo dps on the plane, with dangling sock. However. When you have an aisle seat and another passenger next to you, it’s damned hard to negotiate the elbows, which in my case, have a singular ability to end up in the other person’s ribs. I didn’t knit on the way down; instead, I read an Ian Rankin mystery—quite good, if you like mysteries, which I do.

I’m not the sort of person who really cares whether there’s an abundance of yarn shops at my destination. In fact, I’ve found that, for the most part, yarn shops away from home generally carry the same crap I can buy anywhere. To my mind, there are three kinds of “shops”: the regular we-carry-some-imports-fuzzy-scarf-yarns-and-nice-acrylics; the high-end frou-frou atelier boutique; and the real honest-to-god fiber place. I only bother with the latter when I go away, if I yarn-shop at all.

When I go to NH, the Fiber Studio in Henniker is always on my list, as is the Yarn Shop in Laconia. One of these days I’ll get to Harrisville. And of course, Patternworks is now located in Center Harbor, NH, with a retail shop. I know Keepsake Quilting well, since I occasionally delude myself into thinking I’ll do a quilting project one of these days.

General Knitting Shit
I’m finishing up the Ran tunic, working on the Forest Path Stole here and there, and about to swatch for the linen stitch jacket. I don’t count socks as projects, ever. As far as I’m concerned, I make socks mindlessly with an eye to stuffing my drawer full of them for winter. Why people consider them “projects” is beyond me. It’s like calling a swatch a project. Or worse, calling a warshcloth a project.

What wid dat? People’s definition of “project” seems to extend to the minutest piece of knitting. By the way, on Joe’s blog in the Comments, Kim Salazar left the link for a free Fuzzy Dice knitting pattern. I printed it out.

That’s my next “project.” In pink, with black dots. What else? Can you think of anything more rare and handy than angora fuzzy dice?

No comments: