Monday, May 17, 2004

Best Quote I Heard All Day
A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, "You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk dancing." —Sir Arnold Bax

I admit to having been forced to learn folk dancing in grade school.


A Knitting Smörgåsbord of Techniques
There’s not a technique in knitting that I haven’t tried at least once.

And many that I’ve tried and not used again. But the knowledge that they exist makes me a better knitter. I’m a great believer in having as complete a selection of techniques at hand as possible.

However, there are knitting techniques that I have deemed useless for my ends. One is the technique of knitting backwards. I know that many people love using this for entrelac. I’ve never found it tiresome to turn the work. Doesn’t faze me in the least. More trouble to learn how to knit backwards.

I don’t knit toe-down socks. It’s not that I think it’s a worthless technique, it’s more that I’m comfortable knitting cuff-down. I made one toe-down pair, and just didn’t care much for it. Never had a problem getting my socks to fit, even if they were for other people. It’s not all that difficult.

Another technique that I don’t bother with is intarsia, primarily because the results look awful on me. There may come a time in the future where I will use it.

I think mirror knitting for lefthanders is laughable. And stupid.

I learned the Magic Loop technique. As far as I’m concerned it may be useful if I can’t find a suitable pair of dps when working a sleeve in the round.

I know and use three methods of casting on: Long-tail, cable, and provisional.

I know three methods of increasing and use one of the three, depending upon the design’s demands.

In fact, I know and have access to many, many different modi operandi. Realstricken tells me that I will use a core number of methods to achieve the maximum success. Understanding that there are other, more obscure options available makes me a knowledgeable knitter. Using those obscure techniques does not make me a better knitter.

Off I Go
I submitted my letter of resignation this morning to my boss. As of June 1, I will be Operations Manager for Eagle Rock Alliance, a disaster recovery company based in West Orange, NJ. This happened very quickly last week right after I returned from Florida—my former boss is a director at this company and has engineered the offer that I received last Wednesday. It was one I couldn’t refuse.

New horizons, new opportunities. I’m relieved and sad at the same time. I’ve made some wonderful friends at TCI, who will always remain my friends: AnnMarie, Mary, Pat, Johnny B, Warren, Edna, Rob, Jackie, April, Cathy, Gary. If any of you guys are reading this, you’re the best. Thanks for 4 great years.

You want to talk about rare and handy people? These TCI guys put up with my wackiness, supported me through Jimmy’s death, listened to me kvetch about selling the house, and welcomed John Hargreaves as part of my new life.

They are the true rare and handy ones. I will miss them.

No comments: