Monday, November 21, 2005

Best Quote I Heard All Day
Traffic signals in New York are just rough guidelines.--David Letterman

Every so often, like a perverse homing pigeon, I feel the need to return to the city of my birth.

Well, shit, it's only 50 miles away. And John's brother and sister-in-law are here from California for the holiday and staying in the city, so we usually all get together the weekend before Thanksgiving.

This year, they wanted to do something different. So yesterday, all of us, seven adults and three teenaged girls, went to an interactive play, Accomplice, where you walk through lower Manhattan, from South Street Seaport to City Hall to the Brooklyn Bridge to Chinatown to Soho.
A good stretch of the leg. John and I brought Liz and his daughter Katie. Liz had never been downtown before.


So rather than write anything fibrous today, I'm just going to run some of the pictures I took yesterday while we walked the streets and did the play.



If you have never been to New York City, Accomplice is a nice walking tour of lower Manhattan and worth doing to get a feel of the city. I was a bit bored by the "mystery" but it was a magnificent autumn day to be walking around downtown.

And my feet are killing me.

I'll not be posting again until after Thanksgiving. Shopping, cleaning and other mundane activities. And then the all-day cooking spree on Thursday, wherein I spend my time cooking a meal that's eaten in fifteen minutes.

And if you are not American, I'm hard pressed to explain a national holiday that's comprised of stuffing yourself to the brim with cooked turkey, sweet potatoes (often with marshmallows, feh), stuffing, mashed potatoes, assorted cooked veggies, pies by the dozen, and antacids. And the endless televising of football games, parades and horrible holiday TV specials.

Friday's another story. Have a rare and handy holiday.

No comments: