Sunday, January 08, 2006

Best Quote I Heard All Day
My mother always told me I wouldn't amount to anything because I procrastinate. I said, "Just wait."--Judy Tenuta

So sooner or later, I'll get back to weaving. Just wait.

Put a Bag Over It
I could have sent this on to my friends at You Knit What??

But I'm not that altruistic.

I'd say this model's tits are in far worse shape than my 55-year-old pair. Shit, a good bra balances everything out. Or perhaps the one larger tit has been inflamed by the nearness of that engorged shoulder strap. Owie.

And hey, when you're feeling like your knitting just isn't up to par, spend some time at Berroco's website. Their fuckwitted designs will make you feel like a knitting genius.

Dysphoric Dee-lite
There's nothing better than being a many-headed hydra, which is how I've been feeling lately, thanks to my chronic disorder.

That said, I've started another blog devoted to manic-depression, Swing Time.

Do I need to write more? Yep. Particularly regarding this. I've done a considerable amount of thinking about blogging in general and manic-depression in particular. There are few blogs devoted to it, probably because it takes a fair amount of focus to write about anything coherently and cohesively.

Ever since that incident involving the guy on the airplane who was shot and killed (which disappeared from the news, as I suspected it would), I've become more and more interested in mental health advocacy. I've always been pretty upfront about being bipolar. And judging by the comments I receive when I do write about my disorder, it would appear that there are plenty of you out there who either have it or know someone who does, and could use some info as well as some discussion.

Knitting, spinning and fiber art in general are critical components of my life and wellness. However, I think that writing a blog as a manic-depressive can help other people a lot more than simply writing about fiber. Knitting is not exactly a life-threatening disorder.

Well, I take that back. Some knitters should be shot. And you could get a terminal rash from Fun Fur.

I don't whine about being bipolar I. It's what I am and what I live with, every day. Sometimes it sucks. But most of the time, it's doable. I want people to know that. And in the long run, it's good to write about what you know.

JamaicanMeCrayzee in Da 'Hood and Other Mods
Finally, I'm on the first sleeve. Not to the dps yet but soon the circ will not suffice. I'm tempted to start the hood after I finish the one sleeve but I'll restrain myself and get the other sleeve done while I ponder how I want to handle the hood.

As far as neckline decisions were concerned, I could either put the back neck and center front stitches on hold or bind them off or use a combination. I chose to bind off the back neck so that I would have a seam there to add stability to the hood by picking up the hood stitches and put the center front stitches on hold. I never even thought about making a detachable hood. Why? Those things are a nuisance on coats and it would be worse to insert a zipper into the neckline. I shudder.

As I mentioned, there are some ways in which I could finish the hood. The hood stitches are picked up from the center of the neckline around and then worked flat, for those of you who have never done a hood. To modify the hood, I could: A) include a casing so that there would be a drawstring or B) cast on some extra stitches in 1/1 ribbing on either side so that the edge of the hood extends and then overlap the bottom edges when the hood is finished. OR C) I could slip the first and last stitches of the hood and then add an applied I-cord finish.

I'm inclined to do B, simply because I doubt that Liz would find neither I-cord finishing nor a drawstring "kewl."

The other modification that I suggested to Liz that received a "kewl" was to shape the fronts of the sleeve cuffs in a long V that will cover her hand, adding a crocheted loop worked from the last bound-off stitch so that she could slip the loop over her middle finger. I'll keep the V in a 1/1 rib and see how that looks. Kinda like this rather crude sketch I did quickly in Paint.
About an inch of the cuff would be worked in the round, then the back half bound off and the front half decreased every other row.

You do know that decreasing every other row gives you approximately a 45 degree angle, right? No matter what weight and gauge you knit. Because it's all about geometry.

Geometry was the only math course in which I ever received better than a D final grade. Mostly because I wasn't a particularly attentive student, since I was too busy writing notes to my friends.

Now I care. Doesn't that figure?

Overture, Curtain Lights! This is It, We've Hit the Heights
I saw Monty Python's Spamalot on Broadway this afternoon. Amazing show, even without Tim Curry. David Hyde Pierce and Hank Azaria were spectacular, as was the rest of the cast and the production. The last musical I saw was in 1964 on an 8th grade music class trip. Hello, Dolly! with Carol Channing. It was a bore. I'm strictly a Bob Fosse kinda woman. That's it.

But if you get a chance to see this one, do it. Rare, handy and lots of digs at Andrew Lloyd-Webber, a fifth-rate composer if ever there were one.

No comments: