Wednesday, November 27, 2002

Best Quote I Heard All Day
The secret of eternal youth is arrested development.--Alice Roosevelt Longworth

The original curmudgeonette...

Achim's Socks
Here's the photo...


The pattern is on my Freebies page. Help yourselves. The photo is actually a scan of a pair that I'm making for my Sissyboo Karen for Christmas. Achim's actual pair was knit in dark navy.

The True, Ghastly Story About Being an Editor
My last blog entry about the devastation of Knitter's magazine garnered a lot of comments. And I realized that many knitters really don't know what happens when a knitting editor plans an issue and gets the sweaters you see into print. This is how it happens, pretty much.

1) Editor works out editorial calendar (what each magazine will contain vis a vis garments and articles, themes if any, etc.). Because magazines must be planned so far in advance, due to the time it takes to produce each issue, the editorial calendar is usually at least 6-8 months ahead of the actual time it is sent to designers.

2) Designers submit their swatches and sketches to the editor (generally, they do not submit finished garments but may submit small projects that are complete). Editor invariably changes at the very least the color of the design, the yarn used (particularly if he or she is under pressure from the advertising department to feature a particular company because the company just contracted for a big ad), and often will even change the shape of the design, i.e. "I don't want bell sleeves, make them 3/4 sleeves." "Take the collar off and replace it with I-cord." "Remove the ribbing from the cuffs." And so on. Designer does what she/he is told, if they want to be paid.

3) Designer knits the garment according to the editor's specifications, most likely grumbling. But it's a job and you don't piss off the boss by telling him you think his ideas suck. So you do what you're told and you get to keep your job and get paid. Designer writes up directions, does charts if needed. Editor sends directions to pattern writer (or will rewrite her/himself) for sizing and formatting according to the magazine's style.

4) Garment that bears little resemblance to the designer's original concept is what you see in the magazine, 9 times out of 10.

And this is exactly why I no longer want to be an editor and why I prefer to write and self-publish my designs. I hate sucking up to anyone, especially advertisers. And I'll be damned if some editor with no taste fucks with my stuff.

A real bedtime story for the uninitiated...

And now, I must go make an apple pie (Try pie, try!). Happy Thanksgiving to all. I leave for Chicago on Friday afternoon to be with my guy. If I can, I will post something from Chi. If not, see you all when I get back on December 5th.

How rare! But make sure your turkey's cooked...

No comments: