Saturday, June 14, 2003

Best Quote I Heard All Day
"Where is there dignity unless there is honesty?"--Cicero

It would appear that Achim and I no longer have a relationship. No, I will not discuss why. That's not what the blog is for. I'm fine, though. Really. As EZ said, "Knit on with confidence, through all crises."

And so I do and continue to rely on my resilience, my friends, and my creativity.

The Others
Forgive my not posting recently. Work is getting in the way of important stuff. Yesterday was spent at a meeting in Jersey City, birthplace of Martha Stewart. Need I say more?

So in my quest to bring you the best in knitting reportage ::snort::, I've been viewing some of the other, smaller lists in an attempt to look at the Beeg Peektchah. All I did was a search on YahooGroups for "knitting." (In case you're interested, there are 613 knitting lists, about 25% dedicated to goths, bands who play The Knitting Factory, etc. I'm looking for the person who belongs to all of them.)

Now that I'm about Opal'd out, having almost finished my third pair, I was totally astounded to find not one but two lists completely devoted to Opal sock yarn. Ye gods. So you know I had to check out one, OpalChatters. The name alone would be worth the price of admission. Maybe. So far, the most exciting thread I've seen is who bothers to match the patterning and who doesn't.

Suffice it to say that there's little to say. These one-trick pony lists must survive on the singleminded, narrow focus of those knitters who approach knitting as if it were a record that skips (little reference there for those of us who are over 40 and remember records). A few months ago, when I spent about 2 hours figuring out the Magic Loop business, I checked out that list too. Thank heavens there's only one of them...

Here's a few other one-trick lists, spelled as they appear in YahooGroups:

DishClothsRUsPlus, sonshine dishcloth knitters (for the born-again retarded spelers among you), Love2Knit Dishcloths, HPKnit (three guesses), wool soaker group (all you ever needed to know about knitted diapers), NorwegianHappyKnitting (I shudder at the thought), SlouchSocks, regiasocknitters.

Don't say I didn't warn you. Amazingly, there is no list dedicated to Kool-Aid dyeing. Unless I need to do a search for that specifically.

And of course, I forgot to include my absolute favorite, Hazels knitting: "I look into knitting and answer your knitting problems, whatever they maybe! For all you knittoholics out there!"

You go, girl.

Next post, I'll report on some lists that actually have some use.

Handy down to the bitter end, and still fucking rare. "What the fuck is wrong with German people," indeed.

No comments: