Sunday, October 05, 2003

Best Quote I Heard All Day
I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch.
--Gilda Radner


For the past two days, I've seen garments the likes of which would give any sane person the hives.

Lock and load, baby.

Stitches East Revue
I'm back. And here it is, in all its glory...




The AC Convention Center is a vast improvement over the Valley Forge septic tank.

Driving three hours from Allamuchy to AC was not half bad. And Elly and I continued our ritual of having coffee and bagels first while reviewing the vendors and their booth placement before we hit the show.

Elly lasted about two and a half hours on Friday. She bought what she wanted and then she wanted to leave. So I went back on Saturday to finish what I started. A buyathon. And seeing more friends.


I have another picture of Elly with her mouth full but she threatened me with a spanking if I published it.

First, we had to meet Kathy and Carol S. at the Simply Knit booth. And of course, QueerJoe, who showed off his Weavette, full of gadgety goodness, as Lisa might say.


Then Kathy and Carol S. showed up and off we went shopping. What more can I say? Here's Kathy in one of her Koigu leftover crocheted jackets.


By and large, this was an excellent show. It was great to see old friends, and meet some new ones.


From left, it's Lisa, Kathy, and Donna, who recognized me from some picture of myself that I must have put up on the blog. Donna doesn't post to the Comments, but she will now, won't she? Wish I could have met more of my Tontant Weaders...but I prefer to do these shows dressed as Lili von Schtupp so that I will not be recognized.

Although Kathy is insistent that I am far more well known that I wish to be. Shit, I hope not. I'm a shy person. Really.

The Best Part
No, I'm not going to list all the things I bought. Much of the stuff I did buy was raw materials for future design projects.

But. There were a shitload of fucking ugly garments there, kids. I shit you not. If I could have found the person wearing the knitted purple dress complete with applied rick-rack, I would have. This vision was rumored to have been a guy awaiting a sex-change operation. Never saw him.

However, I bring you The Gallery of Ghastlies. A photographic tour of some of the most plug-ugly knitted things I have seen in a long time.

Is it a coincidence that many of these garments are intarsia? Is that why I don't do intarsia? No. But it's astonishing how easily people can crap up even a Kaffe Fassett design. Mary Maxim, eat your heart out.

You'll see.

So, enough of my self-indulgence with the digital camera.

It was fun. It was rare. It was handy.

I'm beat.

No comments: