Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Best Quote I Heard All Day
A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.--Unknown

Yeah, I know. Where the fuck have I been? Well. You want the New York Times version...or three sentences or less?

Here's what I've been doing:

1. Seeing John...a lot
2. Watching the Yankees
3. Working my ass off at TCI

These are in order of importance, of course.

Lavold, C'est La Guerre
OK, I know she's not French. But in response to numerous (well, a few) requests that I show what I'm currently working on, here's the back of the Lavold vest from this past issue of Knitter's.



The back was the easy part. And all the pieces will need to be blocked. I'm a bit concerned about the garter stitch border that then goes directly into reverse stockinette. Methinks that there's not sufficient garter stitch to eliminate the curling. But we'll see.

This is a better shot of the cable motif done on the armhole. The cabling is not that difficult. And the back as a whole is not that difficult.

The fronts require extremely careful counting because you must first short-row while beginning the little cable, then simultaneously decrease for the armhole, work a motif, and decrease for the V-neck. If the decs for the V were, say, every 4th row or so, it would not be a particular chore. But they are like so: [Work dec on next row, work 1 row even; work dec on next row, work 3 rows even] 8 times.

See what I mean? So combining the armhole decs, the chart rows AND these neckline decs into one rational row count is the key. The 28-row chart begins X rows above the armhole bind-off and neckline decs. The chart has to be renumbered so every action, chart or decs, can be identified by a uniform row count.

And it's why the pattern is marked "Advanced."

I wish I had done this vest in Lavold's Silky Wool. Because although the Debbie Bliss Merino is nice, it cannot compare to Lavold's stuff.

Vague Knitting Article
Some people have asked me if I was upset because my blog was not mentioned in the VK Holiday issue article.

Um, no.

Should I be?

And do you think any magazine would put their asses on the line to publicize a blog that actively criticizes them and holds them accountable for their fuck-ups and dreary fashions?

Strictly a rhetorical question, of course.

And now, I'd better do some TCI writing before I get MY ass held accountable.

I get a check twice a month from TCI, just for being rare and handy. And producing, you know?

No comments: