Friday, October 28, 2005

Best Quote I Heard All Day
"If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work: "Hello. Can't work today, still queer"--Robin Tyler

No particular reason. I just love this quote.

It's taken two cups of coffee this morning just to get this far. Feh.

However, here's a little ditty by Eric Idle that says it all. Thanks to daughter Jenn.

Lacing Along
It's a good thing I swatched the Melanie shawl on heavier yarn. Because the rosette motif is a bugger, with decreases using yarn-overs. Good example of knitted lace. I always have to remind myself that knitted lace means patterning on every row v. lace knitting, which has a plain row in between patterning. I remember these definitions like I remember how to Kitchener stitch--with the aid of the printed word.

The center panel's cast-on is knitted on rather than provisionally cast on. Whe it comes time to pick up along the bottom for the border, you work each cast-on loop rather than a live stitch. I debated whether I would do a provisional cast-on but decided in favor of Sharon Miller's directions.

Incidentally, thanks to Enjay for the info on the Heirloom Knitting list. I joined and I suspect it will be the only list I actually read. This is a strictly run list, thank God.

Starry Night Redux
I finally started plying again, what with at least four bobbins filled with singles. It's time to get more done.

The picture is a bit fuzzy, as was I when I took it. Of course, yesterday I had the battle of the snapping drive band, where my drive band broke as I was merrily plying away at breakneck speed. And naturally, I had no cord in the house with which to replace it.

So, in the car and off I go. First to Linens 'N' Things, where I was going to buy mesh bags to wash my CMV bits (another story for another day). And lo! An entire cone of meat string for $8.99. Enough to make drive bands for at least 10 years. It's a bit heavier than the Schacht band but it seems to work. So far. I'm waiting for the band to jump the track but it hasn't yet.

Not much to write about today. Good discussion in the last comments, I thought.

Here's the thing about me, if you haven't figured it out already. I really don't give a fuck if you agree with me or not. Opinions are like assholes--everyone's got one. However, it's not that difficult to disagree by presenting an intelligent, thought-out argument. That I respect. It's the loonies who occasionally invade the comments and feel it necessary to attack me personally without presenting any reasonable argument whatsoever. That I won't tolerate. Ever.

And now I need to go to the loom. But first, a rare and handy lunch. Of salad. Feh. Why wasn't I born thin like my brother?

No comments: