Friday, October 21, 2005

Best Quote I Heard All Day
So cheat your landlord if you can and must, but do not try to shortchange the Muse. It cannot be done. You can't fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal. --William S. Burroughs

Kaffe Fassett = Chateaubriand

Mari Lynn Patrick = Taco Bell

The past two days my muse has been busy ordering take-out Chinese and buying clothes at Wal-Mart. She'll be back.

The Troughs of Non-inspiration
So for two days, here's what I have accomplished:

Socks for Liz, that JamaicanMeCrazy kid. Less the dreadlocks, lately she's been in reggae mode, a leftover from her cruise in August to Bermuda. Now it's Bob Marley and Bunny and the Wailers. This was the best Gram could find in the way of sock yarn to complete that Rasta look. The aqua kinda transforms it into Miami Vice.

My creativity operates like a garbage truck. Pick-ups every Monday and Wednesday, recycling on Tuesdays and trips to the dump the other days.

In addition, I just dumped the warp I was using on the loom because I managed to fuck that up. Back to square one. I think I will try warping from front to back rather than back to front, simply because it seems to be easier.

Sometimes, when things don't work, I find myself spinning my wheels until the mental towtruck comes to get me out of the ditch. And it always does. The best way to jump-start myself is to go and sit with the stash. Seriously. And pick up a knitting book to read. Works for me.

You Asked For It
Here it is, in all its glory. I'll put it up under Freebies as well.


Mind you, I have never knitted this. So caveat Freebies. I suppose I should do, if just to prove out the stitch/row proportions.

I'm off to find my muse. I'm sure she's glutted herself sufficiently and is ready to move on. Besides, it's almost the weekend. Time to dump the garbage and get back to work, if I am not interrupted by such petty things as going to the dentist, driving Liz to her friend's house, and supermarket shopping.

Motivation and inspiration. Two rare and handy states-of-being that had better show up. Today.

No comments: