Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Best Quote I Heard All Day
Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art.--Tom Stoppard

Combining both skill and imagination is the key.

I don't see myself as a "craftswoman." Nor do I see myself as an "artisan."

Just someone who lives in a fiber-infested world and who is trying to put her imagination and skill to use.

Countdown to Rhinebeck
Time just can't fly fast enough. Whereas I was rather bummed out about the drive down to Atlantic City for Stitches, I can't wait to jump into the car and get to Rhinebeck.

Leaving Friday afternoon around 3, picking up John at work in Union, then on to Kingston, where we're staying for the weekend. It's going to be so good to see Joe, Kathy, Carol, Selma, Lisa and...Franklin.

If you are going to be at Rhinebeck on Saturday, please stop me and say "hello." I truly do love to meet readers and I'm quite the mild-mannered middle-aged skank in person. I'll be wearing black (the uniform of the fashion-challenged), with my Field of Flowers shawl, most likely. I imagine that we'll all hang out at the picnic tables by the food concessions at some point.

Got Wood?
There was discussion about Golding wheels and looms in the last Comments. I thought perhaps those of you who are not familiar with Golding might want to see exactly what we were talking about, so you can check out the link.

Having been married for 32 years to a woodworker and ship modeler par excellance, I have to say honestly that while I would never buy a Golding wheel or loom because I find the decorative value to be nil, the workmanship is extraordinary.

Nonetheless, when I look at Jimmy's work now, almost four years since his death, I am even more inspired in my own. He was certainly one of the top ship modelers in the country and his knowledge about the craft and about maritime and naval history was truly encyclopedic. And sometimes scary. He had more ship-shit stuffed in his brain and God knows how he retained it all.

This is the only model of his that I own, his New Bedford whaleboat. (The others were sold through galleries--there's one in the lobby of the Bank of America in SF.) Made from scratch, strake by strake, plank by plank. All the whaling gear--harpoons, lances, buckets, etc.--he made everything. Except the sail, which I sewed for him from his paper pattern. He just wasn't good with a sewing machine.

Just thought I'd share that with you. He's still awesome in his talent. So although I find the Golding wheels fugly, I surely appreciate the work and talent that goes into their creation.

Knitting Funk
I need to get motivated to do something. I've been spending much too much time writing and haven't really gotten into gear again since I finished the Field of Flowers shawl. Problem is, I have too many ongoing projects--the loom, the spinning, the lace shawl design and the ever-present writing. Even with my self-imposed schedule, I don't seem to be accomplishing much this week.

Maybe an infusion of knitting friends and fiber this weekend will help. Or a rare and handy kick in the ass.

No comments: