Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Best Quote I Heard All Day
Most people are unable to write because they are unable to think, and they are unable to think because they congenitally lack the equipment to do so, just as they congenitally lack the equipment to fly over the moon.--H.L. Mencken

So that's a good excuse for a lot of people, I suppose.

There's something bogus about making your living as a writer. But I'm not sure what that is.

To me, it's like people paying me to take a pee. Something I have to do every day, over which I have no control.

I guess that's it.

O Frabjous Day!
That would be Saturdays and Sundays, lately. I've managed to get quite a bit of spinning done, simply because I can sit at the wheel for a few minutes every day. Spinning is easy to start and stop.

The raspberry merino/tencel is finished.


When I was plying, I had forgotten that one of the bobbins had a significant amount of Starry Night singles left on it when I started the raspberry. So when I got to that point, I kept plying the raspberry with the Starry Night. It was kind of interesting, although I prefer the solid raspberry.

I have not yet measured the yardage of either skein but I suppose there would be enough to knit a scarf, if I alternated the skeins every other row. For now, the skeins get thrown into the basket. This is why I really don't like sampling. Give me enough to make something of substance.

That said, I started spinning the Emerald City.


This is where the bobbin was a week and a half ago. Here it is as of today:



What's amazing about this fiber are the colors that you don't see on the bobbin: black, olive, gold and even blue. The magenta and green predominate but those other colors blend beautifully.

I've started another bobbin because I want to ply a small sample next weekend. I'm not waiting as I did with Starry Night.

In Other News

The Melanie keeps humming along, a few rows every evening. I won't be putting up pictures of it for a while, since it's just more of the same. As I said to Loop, if I can get ten rows done a night, that's good. Corinne has finally chosen her wedding dress.


No, that is not her in the picture. She's blonde, shorter and dare I say it? Slightly plumper, although she's lost almost 25 pounds so she's looking great.

There was a moment where I thought she might chose this heavily embroidered dress and I knew the shawl would look like shit with it. However, this dress is perfect.

Well, back to work. I'm working at home today, which is why I can manage this quick entry. Weekends are so rare and handy these days.

ADDENDUM: And one more thing, one that I forgot this morning while doing this entry.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOE!

You want to talk about a good friend and the best yarn-shopping enabler ever? I think it's time for a Wolvie spring luncheon down in No Hope, my dears.

No comments: