Monday, January 20, 2003

Best Quote I Heard All Day
In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances:
Magic and bullshit.--unknown


It was a magick day wrought with bullshite...
another frabjous day, calloo, callay, at TCI.
I need to retire.

The Magick Loop
I don't generally pay a lot of attention to the fads and furbelows of any list I read. But after a recent stop at one of my local yarn shops, the owner convinced me, albeit with a weak argument, that the Magic Loop technique might be worth a try.

"You'll never need double-pointed needles again," she insisted.

Well, I really don't mind dps at all, myself. I've not had any problems using them and the Socks Soar technique, with the two circular needles, seemed to me to be a waste of time. I had visions of me inadvertantly strangling myself with one of them while doing what seems to me to be hazardous knitting with the other.

However. The Magic Loop technique uses one circular needle, and is quite a clever idea once you get the hang of it. You cast on X sts, and then exactly in the middle (more or less, if you don't have an even number of stitches), you pull a loop of the circ's cable out between. I can't possibly explain it any further but you can knit a small number of stitches in the round without dps. Buy the book, it's only $8. FiberTrends publishes it--take a look at the picture on their web site.

Here's what I discovered while fiddling around with it this weekend:

:: You absolutely must steam the shit out of your circ's cable so that it becomes as a wet noodle.
:: The book says you can use a 32" or 40" length--longer is better. Trust me.
:: You must practice on worsted weight first, as the book suggests.

Here's what I'm not going to knit with the Magic Loop: socks. I'm fine with dps. If you have laddering problems, though, this will definitely cure them.

Here's what I will knit: Fair Isle sleeves. I really will be happy to remain on circulars all the way through.

And of course, my cranky mother Elly was thrilled about the Magic Loop because Elly does not do dps, on anything. The woman who taught me to knit shies away from the more esoteric knitting conventions. But she's almost 80 and is the worst yarn junkie of them all.

Shopping Trip
Going to "Wilkes Berry" on Wednesday to be with Achim. I am NOT saying one word. Well, let's see how much self-control I have.
None.
Zip.
Zero.
We'll see. I've waited 7 weeks to see him. That's plenty long enough.

He's about the rarest German I know. And sehr handy!

No comments: