Thursday, February 27, 2003

Best Quote I Heard All Day
"I am certainly not one of those who need to be prodded. In fact, if anything, I am the prod." --Sir Winston Churchill

After spending the past 4 days in a Fundamentals of Supervision training class, I'm more plod than prod...

IK and Vague Knitting, Spring Editions
Feh. I'm not even going to review them on the No Affiliations review page. Of the two, Vague was better...in fact, if I were 25 years younger, I'd love it. I really like Sasha Kagan's designs--her cardi in Vague was nice--and actually made one once in 1986, but these days, I wouldn't bother because I'd rather put the effort into something else. IK is so blah, I nodded off while thumbing through it. Nothing awful in either (well, the white pants in Vague were a bit looney).

Stick to books, kids. Or design your own. Or better yet, just hang tight. The new issue of Knitty will be out momentarily.

Tuning Up the Quirks in my Personality
I'm coming to the conclusion that designing my own is a far better bet than expecting other people to provide me with my knitting fun. Having had my personality profile done during the aforementioned training class (the DiSC profile...much better than Myers-Briggs, by the way), I now understand why I like to design. It's a control thing, an independence thing...the profile was scarily on the money. "Easily bored, highly independent, direct and to the point, critical of those who do not think as she does..." Hoo boy.

Fourteen pages all about me, me, me. And all of it right, right, right. Sheesh. I need to learn to be a better listener. How true. But learn to be patient with morons? I don't think so. Suffering fools gladly just doesn't fit into my "life agenda," as it were.

Stitch 'n' Bitch at TCI
So I've been coaxed into doing a knitting thing at work again. Last year (or was it the year before? I forget.) I taught about 6 or 7 people how to knit. It was great fun and a nice break in the workweek. However, Human Resources won't let me call it Stitch n Bitch. So it's Stitch n Learn, or some such shit. Never mind that.

My work friends are by and large excellent people and I'm happy to take an hour and learn them some knitting tricks. And March 4th I'll do another spinning demo at Liz's school for Colonial Night. I do promote fiber art in my own way...gotta give back something.

1,237 Posts and Nothing On
(Apologies to Bruce Springsteen...or is that Springstreet? Heh. Dustin Hoffman is even older than I am, so we must forgive his little faux pas. The Grammys were quite good, I thought. Except Bruce should have won for The Rising.)

All the list posts piled up in my Inbox added up to a big, fat ZERO, content-wise...endless messages about Stitches West (who gives a shit?), someone looking for the link for Mary Maximum [sic], the usual yarn substitution requests, the Richard Rutt book reissue (that's good news, although my first edition is probably now worth about a dollah-three-eighty on eBay).

Knitting During Working Hours
One Knit Lister, who clearly has lost sight of her priorities, bragged about knitting at work while waiting for her computer to boot up. Here's what I think: That's so incredibly dishonest, I can't believe this woman would admit to it in public.

Her stand? "Thank goodness I have the whole mailroom to myself all morning, no control-freak managers to tell me to stop knitting!"

If I were her manager, she and I would have to have a Come-To-Jesus talk.

Stitch n Bitch a Deux
Meeting Annie Modesitt tomorrow at 5 p.m. at the Rte. 10 Parsippany Barnes and Noble. If you're in the area, come join us. We'll be the two broads in the corner of the cafe, knitting weird and yukking it up!

Annie is so rare and handy, it's scary!

No comments: