Monday, April 07, 2003

Best Quote I Heard All Day
"A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water."
--Carl Reiner


April...snow...bah Humbug. Living in Weird NJ is becoming positively arctic.

Why I Hate Cotton
1) Because I have to knit all weights of cotton on #1 needles. All cotton yarn.
2) Because the magazines always publish patterns in worsted weight cotton. What wid dat? (And don't tell me you live in California and that's all you can wear because I don't care.)
3) Because no matter how carefully I swatch 'n' wash, the stupid stuff always grows.

Cotton and garter stitch--the KnitDweeb's perfect combination. No wonder there's lists for warshcloths.

Nonetheless, I do have some very nice mauve cotton/silk DK sitting in Rubbermaid bin #3. No, this is not an invitation to discuss my stash, your stash, or anyone else's stash. I keep the contents of my stash a secret, just in case someday I become insane and want to post to the Knit List again.

I may design a cardi with this stuff for the refrigeration unit TCI calls my office. Winter or summer, it's cold.

Why I Hate Lists
Bear with me...I have a pinched nerve in my right shoulder blade that's killing me, thus not sweetening my temperment much.

I have subscriptions to a few other knitting lists besides the main ones, lists that purport to have some kind of proscribed focus. And I've come to the conclusion that if there is a membership greater than ten people, you will get boring "me-too" posts, endless discussion on one or two Topics du Jour, and a consistent balance between self-congratulatory and ass-kissing prose.

This is true, no matter what the original intent of list. Once it's over ten people, you've got a babble. And seldom anything of interest.

I had 88 messages in one of my mail folders from one of these smaller lists today. I scanned them all in less than five minutes. And unfortunately, these members are probably better educated and better knitters than the bulk of the KListers. Yet, I was totally ennuied out. Fifteen of the 88 messages were on the same topic and primarily "me-too."

I like my list. It's just Loopy and me. We haven't bored each other in 6 years.

That's handy. That's why I don't post to lists.

No comments: