Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Best Quote I Heard All Day
Here's a good trick: Get a job as a judge at the Olympics. Then, if some guy sets a world record, pretend that you didn't see it and go, "Okay, is everybody ready to start now?"--Jack Handy

And here's my team button:

Remind me to start a knitting "event" the next time I wash my kitchen floor. The Great Knitting Pinesol-along.

Wouldn't it make more sense to finish something you already started while you're watching the Olympics?

Just sayin'.

Wednesday Downtown Lunch
Spent a little time with Mama and Sis having lunch today. Before that, I went to my mother's apartment to gather up some old Knitter's that she didn't want anymore and to see the finished Wensleydale vest.


This is the vest, hot off the needles and not yet blocked. And for some reason, the picture came out lousy. She's pleased with it, although now she's decided that she's shrunk because I did the directions from the measurements she gave me and the vest is too large for her. I guess one does shrink when you reach 82. Her next project will be a Fair Isle vest so at least her brain hasn't shrunk.

Addendum
Just to give Morehouse credit, that scarf I am knitting is their Gigi pattern. Of course, it's hardly an original design, since it's just the ubiquitous Old Shale, which truly can be found in virtually every knitting reference book.

Old Shale Thoughts
Even though it's a well-used stitch pattern, it's always been one of my favorites. In fact, it was the very first lace stitch I ever did, in a ghastly afghan for my late mother-in-law. Picture five shades of avocado green, two strips in each color with garter stitch borders, and you get the picture. This was around 1974 and the afghan was a Columbia-Minerva kit, if memory serves.

There are so many great variations on this stitch pattern that you could collect them all and put them in a book. I'm using one now for a shawl that's been on the drawing board and swatched but not yet started. This will be a DK weight because I'd really like to have something to wear with jeans.

Laceweight looks impressive when knit up but sure doesn't keep you warm.

Short entry today, chiles. Not much to write about or pictures to put up. Mostly working out my personal issues with the Melanie shawl, thinking about taking a scissors to my weaving sampler and getting it off the loom, and working on the book. Franklin's done some amazing sketches so far, including the cover drawing, which is of course perfect.

However, my rarest and unquestionably most handy feat of the week was to avoid watching the Idiot-in-Chief last night. A clueless liar I don't need to hear.

No comments: