Sunday, March 23, 2003

Best Quote I Heard All Day
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.--Dr. Seuss

I do not like them, Sam-I-am, I do not like green eggs and ham...


Knitz at Simply Knit
There's no doubt in my mind that I benefit more than anyone from writing a blog. First of all, I get to spew my personal opinions all over cyberspace. (Or should the word be "spray"? Never mind.)

Second, from time to time, I actually get to meet some of my fellow knitbloggers. Today I drove down to Lambertville, NJ, some 50-ish miles from Budd Lake, to meet Joe Wilcox and Kathy Merrick at Simply Knit. I hope you all read Joe's blog, QueerJoe. If you don't, you should. Joe writes as coherent and funny a knitblog as ever I've read and I've read a few. Kathy doesn't blog, she just plays one on TV and posts comments to our blogs. Oh, and is a brilliant mathematician.

Suffice it to say that Joe and Kathy were everything I'd expected and then some. Joe brought his latest design, a nifty color-block sampler pullover (very nice--I'd make it and not be bored). I brought the down-to-the-last-sleeve Achim's gansey. And I got a tour of this wonderful shop owned by designer Carol Lapin (it was closed but Joe knows low people in high places). Great yarn, great buttons, great ambience.

Carol is definitely one of my favorite designers. Joe could be if he gets his stuff published. I think he's very talented.

We'll do it again. I need to buy a lot of stuff once I've moved. Yarn stuff. You know. And this is the place to exercise my right to purchase.

Knitty Beckons
So now the deadline for submitting a sketch to Knitty is April 1. And I bought some blue and purple Nomotta Catania cotton with a side ball in the pocket of Gedifra Icaro with the idea that I'd do some kind of Surfer's Nightmare socks or something. The Icaro is this novelty stuff with little sponge-like wads of white, aqua, and purple threaded throughout. Weird but could make an interesting cuff. Or something.

I just can't get a clear design in my head. Something wavy. Something funky.

But I hate knitting with cotton. Especially for socks. No matter how tightly they're knit, they grows like Topsy.

And I don't have the time to design and knit much more than socks right now, given my work schedule. Shit.

Another thing--Amy wants me to write a regular column. Neither of us have a clue as to WHAT I should write. Obviously, my blog writing is my blog writing and doesn't belong in Knitty. Anyone got any suggestions? I'm open.

But I'm not awarding prizes for the best suggestions.

Prize are rare but handy things. You won't find 'em here.

No comments: