Saturday, March 15, 2003

Best Quote I Heard All Day
If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask?
Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?--Scott Adams


No question is stupid...um, well...

Elly
Thanks to everyone for their wonderful support and messages. Elly did fantastically well yesterday. We'll know the score when the pathology on her lymph nodes comes back, hopefully Monday. In the meanwhile, she's up, sitting in her hospital chair, and knitting, of course.

And making snotty comments about her roommate, who is a "pip," to quote El. Apparently this woman launched into a detailed discussion of her gall bladder surgery (which was done laproscopically--I've had it and it's no big deal). Elly was totally unimpressed.

By the way, how is it that my mother doesn't have a need for any pain medication? Will someone explain this to me? Incredible...

The New Harikari
Knitting is The New Yoga? Oh puleeze. What next? My only comment to this is BULLSHIT.

Sorry, didn't mean to shout. Well, maybe I did.

This is so totally asinine that I am now completely convinced that some people in this country have Jell-O brains.

Let's just turn knitting into another New Age activity, why don't we? Next will come aromatherapy yarn, wherein we all chant Om while we knit with eucalyptus-scented silk. I foresee classes springing up with meditants holding needles and yarn and passing the knitting from one to another in a knitting mandala while the Maharishi Yoyo spins a yarnwinder. Hairy Krishna.

Classic Knitting Yoga Position #1: Lost Cable Needle in Sofa

Classic Knitting Yoga Position #2: Yarn Rolled Under Sofa

Classic Knitting Yoga Position #3: Skein On Top of 10-Foot Shelf

Actually, I love yoga and use yoga stretches for my lousy back. But meditation as a hip thing to do didn't impress me in 1967 and it still doesn't. You wanna meditate, meditate. You wanna knit, knit.

Knitting as "yoga" presumes that the knitter spends more time meditating and less time paying attention to the knitting. If you want craft-as-meditation-tool, try spinning.

Meditation is handy...knitting is NOT yoga.

No comments: