Thursday, August 22, 2002

Best Quote I've Heard All Day
"You can't have everything. Where would you keep it?" -- Steven Wright

In my walk-in closet, with the rest of my sh*t.

So Many Ends, So Little Focus or
Talkin' Bout Lazy Knitters Blues

So. I bought 2 skeins of the faux-Fair Isle Regia. I did. I admit it. And a double ball of the Socka Mexico. After all, other than passing on knitting odd-i-ments, I do occasionally bow to the supreme lemmingness of the lists, just out of prurient curiousity. For a buck-three-eighty, it's pretty harmless and no damage to the budget. And Liz will like whatever I make from them.

But having cut my Fair Isle teeth, as it were, on the likes of Sarah Don and Alice Starmore, I don't get the appeal.

I don't.

After casting on the prerequisite 60 sts for my plain-vanilla socks with the Regia, working a bit of 2/2 rib, then moving into the stockinette for about 3 inches, I don't see where the thrill is. Is it that there is a half-assed patterning appearing because of the dye spacing? Is it that you get half-assed results from a half-assed effort? Are these rhetorical questions? Yep. Cause I already know the answer.

It's sort of trompe-l'oeil knitting...except you can fool sommada peeples sommada times, but it don't equal real Fair Isle. Plus, to make the second sock identical to the first, you have to dig through the ball to find the exact same starting point. I'd druther steek, myself. However, the listers don't want no steenkin' steeks. Nor ends to weave in. Or worry about reading a graph. Or carry two colors. Instant gratification rears its ugly head again.

Next topic for next time: Why it's a huge problem being a left-handed knitter. NOT.

No comments: