Friday, August 23, 2002

FRIDAY FIVE Yes, I'm doing this...seems like fun.

1. What is your current occupation? Is this what you chose to be doing at this point in your life? Why or why not?
I'm an operational procedures analyst with a computer training company. It means, basically, that I write/manage/dig up all the company's processes and procedures--basic documentation gig. I also act as a user analyst, helping senior management to understand why IT can't build a complete web site in 3 hours. It's probably one of the best jobs I've ever had--appeals to my Teutonic sense of order.

2. If time/talent/money were no object, what would your dream occupation be?
I would be sitting on my butt doing nothing but designing knitwear.

3. What did/do your parents do for a living? Has this had any influence on your career choices?
My father worked for his father--they owned a precious metal import/export company. My mother did not work until after my father died and I was long married, but she went back into the workforce and did a 20-year stint as a legal secretary to a partner in a large law firm. She only retired when she was 75. Neither influenced my career choice, but both encouraged me to write...which has been my main occupation for the past 25 years in one way or another.

4. Have you ever had to choose between having a career and having a family?
Not really. The kids came first, my choice. Worked as a psychiatric technician evenings and nights until they were old enough to leave--spent loads of time with them. Then I went into publishing with a vengeance. Never regretted any of it.

5. In your opinion, what is the easiest job in the world? What is the hardest? Why?
Nightwatchman? I dunno, every job has its trials and tribulations. The hardest? Cop or fireman. Risking your life every day...now that's hard.

No comments: